Monday, December 21, 2009

Obsessions

I've always been told that I have a very obsessive personality and I would have to agree. I really don't see the point in putting energy into an activity if can't enjoy and appreciate every aspect of it. On the flip, I have a very short attention span. I can learn everything about a subject and then drop it like a bad habit, which is usually easier said than done but I've been able to manage quite well at it. I find it quite awkward to possess both qualities at such equal ranks, but have always been able to manage.

I will always remember the defining time period in which "obsessive" wrote itself on my forehead.

I was mid teens and I had just moved to Virginia. It wasn't too long before I was looking for something to dig into to keep my mind off the newness of another town and another group of friends to fit into. My best friend, "Big B", already lived here and was into BMX. He liked to make dirt jumps and ride with a few friends he already knew from here. Anyways, needless to say, I dove in head first. Got a bike and started riding.

It wasn't too long before I had to ask Mom and Dad for a real bike, the one I got from Wal-Mart just wasn't cutting it. I didn't go to a bike shop and pick one off the rack though, I did my research and ordered all the different parts off the internet. I still remember putting it together. But with me the story goes cold and a few years and two bikes later, I lost the ambition. It's quite sad to look back and realize how much time I put into it and I am not doing it anymore. I loved the industry and the people running it, the rider owned aspect and where it was headed. The friends I made from riding were the realest people I knew, genuine, and were just down for fun. Thanks guys.

"The Fanatic"

No comments:

Post a Comment